Blackbird CrossFit will be hosting its 8th Annual MURPH CHALLENGE on Memorial Day, Monday, May 30th. Doors Open at 7am.
“Murph” is a hero workout performed in the memory of Lt. Michael J. Murphy (SEAL), who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005. It is treasured CrossFit tradition; a right of passage, so to speak. The ’MURPH’ is more than just a workout, it is a tradition that helps push us, humble us, and dedicate a bit of pain and sweat to honor a man who gave everything he had.”
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PARTICIPATING, COMING TO WATCH OR JOINING US FOR THE BBQ, PLEASE READ THIS EMAIL IN ITS ENTIRETY.
THE WORKOUT OPTIONS ARE:
- FULL MURPH– 1 mile Run, 100 Pull-ups, 200 Push-ups, 300 Air Squats, 1 mile Run
- MURPHETTE– 1 mile Run, 50 Pull-ups, 100 Push-ups, 150 Air Squats, 1 mile Run
- HALF MURPH– 800m Run, 50 Pull-ups, 100 Push-ups, 150 Air Squats, 800m Run
- Keep in mind, the body weight movements in between the runs can be partitioned into rounds of 5 pull ups, 10 push ups, 15 air squats.
- Scaling options for running=rowing, pull ups= banded pull ups, low bar pull ups, or ring rows, push ups= on knees or low bar.
We are happy to announce that Blackbird CrossFit is an “Official” 2022 MURPH Challenge Host Gym once again. Your entry fee will help raise money for the Lt. Michael Murphy Memorial Scholarship Foundation (501c3) that provides over 21 education scholarships and aids other foundations such as That Others May Live and Special Operations Warrior Foundation. Because we are an official host, you will be eligible to log your time on their world-wide leader board to see how you stack up to everyone else.
TO REGISTER: (two options)
1. If you would like an official 2022 Murph t-shirt or tank top (via the donation), click on the link below to register.
Visit the site, click REGISTER, choose BLACKBIRD CROSSFIT as your host gym, make your donation, and select your shirt size. $29.99 for shirt/$60 for shirt & hat. Your swag will be sent directly to you. After you’ve registered online we will need you to stop by the front desk and put your name on our list to let us know what version of MURPH you plan on doing.
2. If you are not interested in making a donation and receiving a shirt, participation in this event at Blackbird CrossFit is free to you!
You only need to register online if you want a shirt. BUT, you will need to put your name on the signup sheet at the front desk and indicate what version of the workout you would like to do.
NEXT STEP…..SIGN UP FOR A HEAT:
- 1st heat begins at 7:40, subsequent heats will run every 20 minutes
- Max 10 people per heat
- Sign up sheets are posted in the gym
MURPH REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS 11am SATURDAY 5/28/22.
Please plan on sticking around after the event for our annual MURPH COMMUNITY BBQ! It’s time to celebrate all of your hard work…and a great opportunity to meet all of our new members!
- We will fire up the grills around 11am and will set up and eat after the last heat is finished.
- We have sign up sheets at the front desk for the BBQ. We are expecting a large crowd, so we ask that you sign up for specific food categories to make sure we don’t end up with a table full of brownies and chips.
- Good idea to bring your own chairs to lounge in.
- New Members….you may not feel comfortable tackling this workout, but we’d love for you to come and bring your families for us to meet!
MEMORIAL WALL…New This Year:
For many athletes the day is marked by testing a tough benchmark workout; however, for some of our athletes the day has a deeper meaning. It is a day that they remember friends or family who gave their life while serving our country. The workout is merely how they pay tribute to the fallen.
Dan Rockwell, a Marine Corps veteran, shared a great idea to honor these loved ones during our Memorial Day Murph event.
We will have a “Memorial Wall” this year. If you would like to honor a family member or friend who lost their life serving our country in the military, we would love for you to share their story with our community. We hope this brings comfort to the individual who wants a special way to commemorate the life and service of a loved one. And serve as a reminder for us all of what this day and workout is all about.
Please the link to submit an honoree’s: Name, Rank, Military Branch, Photo and a short write-up (less than 290 characters) You can submit as many tributes as you would like. Click on the link to get started. https://docs.google.com/…/1FAIpQLSew8qrafi1…/viewform…
Submissions are due to by Friday May 20th. We are asking for $5/per submission to help cover material costs. Payment can be made at Murph or using your card on file after Murph.
We understand that the means to cope with loss vary based on individuals and experiences, so please don’t feel pressured to share if you know of someone, but would prefer to keep it to yourself.
We look forward to adding this special tribute wall to our event and joining you in honoring the lives of your loved one(s).
An example of the 10” x 10” memorial wall plaque can be found at the gym front desk.
If you are not a member of BBCF, but would like to join us for the event, please send an email to [email protected] and let us know what version of the workout you will be doing so we can get you in a heat. Please keep in mind that this is a high volume workout. If running, squats, pull ups, and push ups are not in your current training, it may not be wise to attempt.
We look forward to seeing you all there!
The BBCF Coaching Team
Be sure to tag us on all of your MURPH celebration pics! @blackbirdcrossfit #blackbirdcrossfit #MURPHCHALLENGE #TAKETHECHALLENGE #CHALLENGEACCEPTED