Memorial Day is 4 weeks away, which means it’s time for MURPH! Blackbird will be hosting its 7th Annual MURPH CHALLENGE on Memorial Day, Monday, May 31st.
“Murph” is a hero workout performed in the memory of Lt. Michael J. Murphy (SEAL), who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005.
THE WORKOUT OPTIONS ARE:
- FULL MURPH– 1 mile Run, 100 Pull-ups, 200 Push-ups, 300 Air Squats, 1 mile Run
- MURPHETTE– 1 mile Run, 50 Pull-ups, 100 Push-ups, 150 Air Squats, 1 mile Run
- HALF MURPH– 800m Run, 50 Pull-ups, 100 Push-ups, 150 Air Squats, 800m Run
- Keep in mind, the body weight movements in between the runs can be partitioned into rounds of 5 pull ups, 10 push ups, 15 air squats.
- Scaling options for running=rowing, pull ups= banded pull ups, low bar pull ups, or ring rows, push ups= on knees or low bar.
We are happy to announce that Blackbird CrossFit is an “Official” 2021 MURPH Challenge Host Gym once again. Your entry fee will help raise money for the Lt. Michael Murphy Memorial Scholarship Foundation (501c3) that provides over 21 education scholarships and aids other foundations such as That Others May Live and Special Operations Warrior Foundation. Because we are an official host, you will be eligible to log your time on their world-wide leader board to see how you stack up to everyone else.
TO REGISTER: (two options)
1. If you would like a official 2021 Murph t-shirt or tank top (via the donation), click on the link below to register.
Visit the site, click REGISTER, choose BLACKBIRD CROSSFIT as your host gym, make your donation, and select your shirt size. $29.99 for shirt/$60 for shirt & hat. Your swag will be sent directly to you. After you’ve registered online we will need you to stop by the front desk and put your name on our list to let us know what version of MURPH you plan on doing.
2. If you are not interested in making a donation and receiving a shirt, participation in this event at Blackbird CrossFit is free to you!
You only need to register online if you want a shirt. BUT, you will need to put your name on the signup sheet at the front desk and indicate what version of the workout you would like to do.
MURPH REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS 11am SATURDAY 5/29/21
Please plan on sticking around after the event for our 1st OUTDOOR COMMUNITY COOKOUT in over a year! It’s time to celebrate all of your hard work over the course of the pandemic….and a great opportunity to meet all of our new members!
- We will fire up the grills around 11am and will set up and eat after the last heat is finished.
- We have sign up sheets at the front desk for the BBQ. We are expecting a large crowd, so we ask that you sign up for specific food categories to make sure we don’t end up with a table full of brownies and chips.
- Good idea to bring your own chairs to lounge in.
- New Members….you may not feel comfortable tackling this workout, but we’d love for you to come and bring your families for us to meet!
WHAT? WE GET A COMMUNITY EVENT? WHAT ABOUT COIVD?
- At this time, Maryland has lifted all capacity restrictions. So, your family and friends are welcome to come cheer you on and join us for the BBQ.
- At this time, Maryland still requires masks indoors. But in yesterday’s press conference, Hogan alluded to that restriction begin lifted soon. If the state mandate changes by Memorial Day, we will gladly lift that restriction. If the mandate remains, masks will be required inside for those who are not actively working out. Outside of the gym doors = no mask needed.
- Obviously, if you are not feeling well or presenting symptoms associated with COVID, please keep our BBCF community safe and stay home.
If you are not a member of BBCF, but would like to join us for the event, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know what version of the workout you will be doing so we can get you in a heat. Please keep in mind that this is a high volume workout. If running, squats, pull ups, and push ups are not in your current training, it may not be wise to attempt.
We look forward to seeing you all there!
The BBCF Coaching Team
Be sure to tag us on all of your MURPH celebration pics! @blackbirdcrossfit #blackbirdcrossfit #MURPHCHALLENGE #TAKETHECHALLENGE #CHALLENGEACCEPTED