Our Annual Memorial Day MURPH Challenge is this Monday, May 25th! This is usually one of our biggest and most fun community events of the year. To say that it will look VERY different is an understatement. But, many of you train all year in order to take on this annual fitness test, so we wanted to make it happen for you in a safe environment.
WHAT IS MURPH?
The CrossFit Hero WOD ‘MURPH’ pays tribute to Navy SEAL LT. Michael P. Murphy. The Murph Challenge is more than just a workout. It is a tradition that helps push us, humble us, and allows us the opportunity to dedicate a bit of pain and sweat to honor, LT. Michael P. Murphy, a man who sacrificed everything he had for our freedom.
BBCF ANNUAL MEMORIAL DAY MURPH CHALLENGE DETAILS:
- Monday, May 25th
- Heats of 9 people start at 6:30am and run every 1.5 hours.
- Use the SignUpGenius link to choose a heat. Every person in your party must sign up separately. Once the heats are full, we are willing to continue adding more heats as needed. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if all slots are full and you need another heat added. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A0445AAAA2CA0FB6-murph
- We have to be mindful of our gathering size, so you can arrive 15 minutes before your heat and the workout will begin 10 minutes after the posted heat time too allow for warm up. No spectators. 😭
- 1.5 hours should be plenty of time to complete the workout, clean the rig, and give the coach time to sanitize the mats.
- Bring your own face covering, water, gymnastic grips, chalk or liquid chalk (no WOD Wax).
- We will require a face covering. We do not recommend a full coverage face mask like a medical mask, especially in a workout like this. We suggest a breathable fabric tied around your head and left open at the bottom for ventilation. If you are out on the road running and there are no other athletes around you, you may pull down your mask, but upon entering the outdoor workout floor, you will need to wear your face covering.
- MURPH at BBCF is a free event to our community. Non-member friends are welcome to join in the fun. Please have them register via the link above and we will have them fill out a health waiver upon arrival to the event.
- If you would like a commemorate t-shirt or tank top, you can use the link below to make a donation to the Lt. Michael Murphy Foundation. : https://themurphchallenge.com/pages/product-register
OPTIONS FOR MURPH:
Keep in mind that this is a high volume workout and many of us have not been training in the same manner since in quarantine. We want everyone to challenge themselves, but in a safe manner. Please understand that this may not be the year to reach your goal of MURPH in a vest or completing a Full vs a Half. Any version of this workout is tough and honorable.
- Full Murph– 1 mile run, 100 pull ups, 200 push ups, 300 air squats, 1 mile run
- Half Murph– 800m run, 50 pull ups, 100 push up, 150 air squats, 800m run
- Murphette–1 mile run, half Murph of movements, 1 mile run
PULL UP OPTIONS:
- Unassisted Pull Ups
- Banded Pull Ups
- Low bar/Seated Pull Ups
- Ring rows
We were not sure if we would even be able to do MURPH in any capacity this year. So, we feel very thankful that we will get to throwdown with our community on Memorial Day, even if it is in small groups.
Thank you for your continued support of Blackbird CrossFit!