We are kicking off 2017 by recognizing a member who has been with Blackbird since March of 2015! Laura Glaeser is such a positive person in the gym. She has a great attitude, is extremely coachable and kind-hearted, and she gives all she’s got each day. She’s our typical member…mother of 2 active teenagers, works full time, busy, busy, busy, but wants to carve out time for herself and her goals. Like so many, sometimes she crushes that goal, other times, commitments outside the gym win over for short periods. We call that life. We get it. But, over the past few months it seems as a fire has been relit in Laura. Her consistency has garnered major results. Completing WODs with prescribed weights, taking minutes off of numerous benchmark workouts under heavier load than before, and adding significant weight to her lifts. She is strong and moves well. In the past 3 months, she has added 15 lbs to her clean, push press, and bench and 10lbs to her overhead squat and split jerk. We have been so impressed with her renewed dedication to her fitness. She even has her high school son feeling the CrossFit-love! She is setting an awesome example for Alex of the importance of taking care of yourself and making fitness a priority. They now have a healthy competition in workouts to motivate each other, tease each other, and connect on a whole new level. Thank you Laura for being a part of our Blackbird community and inspiring our members. We have loved getting to know you and your sweet fam over the past few years! MEET LAURA…
Laura Glaeser, 36…married to George, mother of Alex who is 16 and step mother to Julian who is 14. I work for A Place for Mom as a senior living advisor. I usually spend my free time with my family at sporting events, hiking and enjoying life.
2. WHAT MADE YOU WANT TO START CROSSFIT?
I wanted a change in my routine. I spent my time running and the occasional body pump class. I talked my friend Cindy into trying it out with me (who attends the 5:30am class).
3. WHAT WERE YOUR THOUGHTS AFTER YOUR 1st WOD?
All I remember is wall balls and not being able to walk or sit for the next 3 days. Yes, it was exactly what I expected.
4. WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT CROSSFIT?
I enjoy the friendly faces… I went to a gym for 3 years and saw the same people and never ever met them. I feel like Blackbird is a big family.
5. WHAT IS YOUR PROUDEST CROSSFIT MOMENT?
My proudest moment in CrossFit is improving the Hero WOD Whittman (5 rounds of 15 wall balls and 400m runs) by 5 minutes and 25 seconds within 8 months time.
6. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE MOVEMENT/LIFT? LEAST FAVORITE?
I love cleans! I don’t really have a least favorite lift; however, I don’t get excited for box jumps.
7. WHAT ARE YOUR CROSSFIT GOALS? HOW CLOSE ARE YOU TO REACHING THEM?
Just to keep going and improving!
8. WHAT IMPACT HAS CROSSFIT HAD ON YOU IN AND OUT OF THE GYM?
I am really proud of all my accomplishments in the gym and that plays a part in my everyday life. I love telling my boys about it and bringing them to the gym with me.
9. IF YOU COULD CREATE A WOD, WHAT WOULD IT LOOK LIKE?
Cleans and 400m runs!
10. WHAT ADVICE DO YOU HAVE FOR OTHERS ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITY AND TAKING CARE OF YOURSELF?
You have to take care of yourself for yourself… you can’t care for anyone else if you’re not taken care of! I say that to my family all the time.
11. WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO SOMEONE NEW TO CROSSFIT OR THINKING OF GIVING IT A TRY?
Start out slow and learn the correct form… just try it for 3 days and you will love it!
12. IN YOUR OWN WORDS, WHAT MAKES CROSSFIT DIFFERENT FROM OTHER FITNESS PROGRAMS THAT YOU’VE TRIED IN THE PAST?
It is different every single day and I love that.
13. WHAT IS YOUR DIET LIKE? HOW HAS IT CHANGED SINCE YOU STARTED CROSSFIT?
This is still a work in progress…